If you have completed your studies then Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 allows you to remain in Australia to study, work and live. This visa is known as a temporary work visa for students. With this visa, you can move in and out of Australia, study to improve your English skills. Visa 485 permits you to study, work and live in Australia for eighteen months to four years. The length of your stay in Australia will depend according to your stream. Visa subclass 485 has two streams, the post stream, and the graduate workstream.
485 Visa Processing Time:
75% of applications processed in
90% of applications processed in
Post-study work stream
Cost for Graduate Visa 485:
Graduate Work Stream
Start from AUD 1,650
Post Study work Stream
Start from AUD 1,650
485 visa requirements:
To receive the Temporary graduate visa 485 you must:
- Recent Qualification in a CRICOS registered course
- Hold a suitable visa e.g. Student visa.
- Fulfill additional requirements of the similar stream
- You must be younger than 50 years of age.
- You need to provide evidence of English competency which is the International English language Testing System (IELTS) test result.
- You need to provide evidence of health insurance.
485 Visa Checklist
You need to provide the following documents for both stream (graduate work and post-study stream):
1) Identity proof:
- Birth certificate
2) Your family relationship
- Marriage certificate
De facto relationship (evidence that you have been in the relationship for 12 months
3) Documents to show English language proficiency
Some important points to remember about Graduate Visa Subclass 485:
Select correct visa stream
As we know that there are two streams for subclass 485, Post-study work visa and Graduate workstream. It is important to lodge under the stream most suitable to you when applying for a visa. The graduate workstream is for international students who graduated with the qualification and skills that related to an occupation on the list of eligible occupations.
The Australian government has provided a list of eligible occupations. The eligible occupations include positions like engineers, nurses, architects, construction managers, teachers, physicians, foresters, programmers, dentists, welders, social workers, electricians, carpenters and more. Your job me be on the relevant list of eligible skilled occupations.
The Post Study Work Stream is for international students who graduated with master, doctorate or bachelor’s from an Australian education provider. The Post Study Work Stream allows visas with up to 4 years of validity.
This Post Study Work Stream is only available for individuals who applied for their first student’s visa to Australia after 5 November 2011. With this visa, you can bring your family to Australia. The processing time for Post Study Work Stream is 4 months.
Adequate health insurance:
A most important requirement for Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 is that you need to provide valid evidence of health insurance. If the health insurance is not satisfied then you may be at risk of visa cancellation or refusal. Insurance policies are known as OVHC (Overseas visitors Health Cover).
You need to provide evidence of English language proficiency. Must have fulfilled the standard English requirement for a graduate temporary visa. you need to clear the English test which is known as the international English language testing system (IELTS).
Family member and partners:
In your visa application, you can include your relatives, partners, and family members. For this, they need to fulfill the character and health requirements.
Graduate Work Stream:
If you are recently graduated with the qualification and skills that are relevant to specific occupation in Australia. It allows you to work in Australia. The main advantage of this stream is that you can bring your family with you to Australia.
Eligibility for Graduate Work Stream:
- You must be under 50 years of age if you are applying for a graduate work stream visa.
- You must have completed a course from CRICOS registered institution in the last 6 months lasted for at least 2 years.
- You must be having the qualification and skills that are required in Australia.
- You need to contain a valid visa passport from Canada, the USA, New Zealand, and the UK, etc.
- you need to provide evidence of English proficiency.
- You need to sign the Australian values statement to be able to get a graduate work stream visa.
- Your family member or you must not hold any debts from the Australian government.
- You need to fulfill the character requirement according to the Australian government.
Post Study Work Stream:
This stream is best for you if you have recently graduated with a degree from an Australian institution. Post-study stream visa will be valid for either 2 or 4 years.
Eligibility for Post Study Work Stream:
- You must hold at least one of the following Australian qualifications when you apply for post work stream visa
- Doctoral degree
- You need to be under 50 years of age while you apply for the post-study work stream visa.
- You need to hold a valid visa passport from Canada, the USA, New Zealand, and the UK, etc.
- If you have applied for the visa on or after 5th November 2011 then you can request for post-study work-stream
- You need to show evidence of English proficiency.
The process to apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485:
- Select correct visa stream
- You need to fill the application
- Submit all documents to complete the application
- Payment to ensure your visa application is valid.